University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

BGS Institute: Facilities

The BGS is an Institute of the University of Calgary consisting of two field stations. The Barrier Lake Station (built in 1967) is located in the Kananakis Valley 80 km west of Calgary and the R.B. Miller Station (founded in 1950) is located in the Sheep River Provincial Park 110 km southwest of Calgary. Both stations are located in Kananaskis Country in the front ranges of the Canadian Rockies. The two field stations are supported by an operating budget from the University of Calgary and a Major Facilities Resource Grant from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council.

Field Station Facilities

Location & Natural History

Workshop/Conference Facilities